Adaptive Bitrate (ABR) public beta

Home Forums Beta and Experimental Features Adaptive Bitrate (ABR) public beta

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    gabriel

Abstract
    Adaptive bitrate works by adjusting to each viewer’s network and serving adequately lower quality content to minimize loading and reloading times; read about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_bitrate_streaming

Opportunity for WpStream clients
    – Use up less overall streaming bandwidth as some of your viewers will stream at a lower quality than the original
    – Better percieved quality of service for some of your viewers; faster start time and fewer interruptions
    – Feature has been used in production by multiple customers during closed beta, since May 2019, with consistently good results

Restrictions, shortcomings, notes
    – Feature requires individual whitelisting
    – Feature can be enabled for particular channels (i.e. for initial testing) or for all of them
    – Only functions with RTMP broadcasting (i.e. OBS, Wirecast, vMix, iOS and Android apps); browser broadcast will no longer be available once feature is enabled for a specific channel
    – Only available for horizontal, 16:9 video
    – Fast, high and stable upload capabilities to anywhere in the world (i.e. not just your city, country, or ISP) is required to broadcast; if your streams are interrupting right now, ABR will only make them worse
    – A recommended encoding profile (i.e. for OBS etc) is to be used; during beta we will not be able to offer support outside the margins of this profile
    – The feature is still experimental and may not work under various unexpected circumstances
    – We can only offer limited support related to the feature at this time

To apply for the feature
    , please provide the following information in an email to prerelease at wpstream.net
    – Your WpStream account username
    – Your website
    – IDs of channels for which you would like the feature enabled (i.e list of chnanel IDs, or “ALL”)
    – Please confirm you understand Web Broadcasting (i.e. broadcast from browser) will no longer function after feature is enabled for specific channels
    – Please confirm you understand this only works well within specified technical parameters
    – Please confirm you understand that superior network capabilities are required on the broadcaster end for this to work well

gabriel

Recommended settings for broadcasting

Software: OBS Studio

Video:
    Resolution: 480p or higher
    Video aspect ratio: strictly 16:9 horizontal (854×480, 960×540, 1280×720 etc)
    Video Bitrate: 1mbps or higher
    Encoder: x264
    Keyframe Interval: 5 seconds

Audio:
    Sample rate: 48khz
    Bitrate: 128kbps or higher
    Codec: AAC

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.