CHAT – public beta

Home Forums Beta and Experimental Features CHAT – public beta

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Beatrice

Hello there,

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the chat. Unfortunately because it is a beta feature we can offer limited support. Your concern has been forwarded to our engineers and if there is a solution you will be contacted. However, I am unable to provide you with a timeline for the response. Sorry for the inconvenience.

christina

@shapebysolveig please send a link to the page that shows up the chat and a pair of credentials to login to it, if the case
    we’ll try to pick up on it and troubleshoot

shapebysolveig.com
    Participant

But I cannot send the login detail in here, where should I send you the credentials?

Beatrice

Hello there,

Please send your credentials as long as a detailed description of your technical issue to support@wpstream.net

Thank you!

shapebysolveig.com
    Participant

Hi,

I have sent you an email with credentials and issue in detail. Please check and let me know.?

Thanks!

Beatrice

Hello there,

I can confirm that your email has been received. Please expect a response from one of our engineers soon. Thank you for your patience!

moniquehampden
    Participant

Hi,
    When using this chat while the stream is live I’m having trouble with guests sending messages.

It says “please login if you want to use the chat”

Beatrice

Dear Monique,

Sincere apologies for the inconvenience however only logged in users are able to send messages via chat. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Preacher
    Participant

I’m having trouble with the chat. It constantly says to please login to chat. How that works, I don’t know. I tried to be logged in on my site to use it but it repeats the same message. When trying to log in using the chat system, it erases my text that I typed and acts as if it never happened.

christina

Chat may not work as expected in all contexts/themes/plugin combinations.
    May we advise you attempt the following:

1. run a conflict assessment https://wpstream.net/forums/topic/plugin-and-theme-conflicts-how-to-identify-and-address/
    2. try another chat system (i.e. Arena.IM, Flyzoo, iFlyChat, WiseChat, ImbaChat etc)

c.lion84270
    Participant

Ok if you are like me, using the plugin without the theme.
    There are 2 methods used to call and draw a chat in class-wpstream-player.php :
    wpstream_live_event_player_low_latency()
    and
    wpstream_live_event_player()

They both use a param $use_chat supposd to be used to call the chat part. But I didn’t find a line using this param.
    This could be used only in the theme I bet.
    So for now you can just put $user_chat = ‘yes’ in the method declaration to force the chat in any case.
    That’s not all…
    To make the chat show up :
    in the file class-wpstream-player.php you need to add

echo do_shortcode('[wpstream_chat id="' . $product_id . '"]');

just before

$this->wpstream_connect_to_chat($product_id);

I don’t think this is the way it was intended to work but what can we do.

This should be enough to draw a chat on any live page.

c.lion84270
    Participant

I currently have only one last pretty heavy issue after loading the chat.
    I can type some messages for some seconds but seems like on the socket update I’m kicked out for “username already used”.
    Even if I’m the only one in chat.
    And I can’t type anymore unless I reload the page. With other user on chat it’s the same story for them.

c.lion84270
    Participant

I had an issue with the way the chat define user Names. It calls for $current_user->user_login. But this can contain spaces in wordpress. And thus doesn’t work with out chat. Any user with a space or specicl char in his login can’t use the chat.
    But we can use the user_nicename which IS a sanitized version of users logins.
    So did I.
    in wpstream_connect_to_chat() in class-wpstream-player.php

$current_user = wp_get_current_user();
            $userID = $current_user->ID;
            $user_login = $current_user->user_nicename;

This fix the issue with login containing spaces.
    But I’m still kicked out of chat after 20 sec because for some reasons my username is still “already used”. It was like this before I fixed the username thing…

c.lion84270
    Participant

I should add about the username limitation, using user_login isn’t safe but user_nicename is not totally safe either beucause it allows dashes – and this isn’t allowed as username for the chat.
    You should really upgrade this part of your code to allow more chars in usernames.
    ————-
    Now about the username already used bug :
    the request sent is a :
    GET Request URL: wss://19713-28104-1617215996.live.streamer.wpstream.net:10110/socket/websocket
    So there are nothing sent from the chat to the serveur more than this URL.
    And the response is :

{"user":"test_npi","type":"update","key":""}	44	
    20:55:09.103
    {"type":"server","info":"clients","clients":{"5":{"id":5,"oldun":null,"un":"test_npi","role":0},"6":{"id":6,"oldun":null,"un":null,"role":0}}}	142	
    20:55:09.103
    {"type":"server","info":"user","client":{"id":6,"oldun":null,"un":null,"role":0}}	81	
    20:55:09.104
    {"type":"server","info":"rejected","reason":"taken","keep":false}

This is a 40 seconds chat open with 1 viewer and only 1 viewer. The streamer wasn’t viewing is own live to not affect the result.
    By the way, is there a way to use the chat while streaming that doesn’t involve opening a live page as a viewer ? burning some precious brandwith in the process ?

christina

Hey Christophe, thank you for the great feedback,

We are at this time at a standstill regarding the ability to improve the chat I’m afraid; the same topic has been brought up repeatedly and it does seem to be environment related (it only happens to some) however I’m not completely sure.

I see you’re grasping the issue really well, if you’re willing to contribute a fix/workaround or to maintain the chat in the longer run we are open to collaborate, let me know if interested.

As of right now the chat won’t work unless the event itself is running.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.