Use 3rd party video player – public beta

Home Forums Beta and Experimental Features Use 3rd party video player – public beta

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    gabriel

Abstract
    WpStream uses a derivative of the Video.js HTML5 player. Its capabilities are limited by product features and lifecycle. We are often unable to respond to player related feature requests that are complex or uncommon. Therefore offering our clients the possibility to use any HLS (.m3u8) capable player for live stream playback.

Features/use cases/opportunities:
    – Custom skinning
    – 360/VR
    – Ad support
    – Chromecast and AirPlay support
    – Advanced analytics
    – Closed caption support
    – Video watermark
    – Quality level selector

Supported players (not exhaustive):
    – Bradmax
    – Bzplayer
    – Clappr
    – DPlayer
    – Flowplayer
    – Hls.js
    – JWPlayer
    – Kaltura
    – Media Element
    – Plyr
    – Radiant
    – Shaka Player
    – Theoplayer
    – Video.js

Restrictions/shortcomings/notes
    – Feature requires individual whitelisting
    – Only available for live streaming at this time
    – Playback is still restricted to your WordPress website domain
    – The feature is still experimental and may not work under unexpected circumstances
    – We can only offer limited support related to the feature at this time
    – Setup requires full understanding of the respective 3rd party player
    – Setup requires basic understanding of HLS and HTML5 video playback

To apply for the feature, please provide the following information in an email to prerelease at wpstream.net
    – Your WpStream account username and password
    – Your website
    – Your use case for requiring a 3rd party player – brief

everydayyou.co.nz
    Participant

Hello @gabriel, thank you for the information! I was redirected here by the the chat support. I’m sorry if it’s obvious but I want to understand completely. I made a website for a client who hosts Yoga videos/classes. Videos are hosted in Vimeo at the moment. I’m guessing from your post this format would not be compatible with your plugin to broadcast to a smartTv/device…

Would that mean we’d have to switch to another sort of “self” hosting so we could use one of the html supported players? and then videos would be compatible to broadcast?

christina

There would be 2 ways to bring the website video content to smart TVs

1. just open the website in the TV’s browser; this reportedly works for some customers, but we don’t have details nor could advise on the matter

2. open the video page on your device and ‘cast’ it to the TV; our player does not yet support casting (via chromecast or airplay) but we are considering it; meanwhile you may use one of the players above, some of them do support the feature; I know for sure JWPlayer is one of them

everydayyou.co.nz
    Participant

Hi @christina thank you for your response. Is the second option we want. So this ‘casting’ feature is not a feature supported by you guys correct? it comes with the player? (in this case JWPlayer)
    If that is the case, what is the broadcasting feature you guys offer?

admin
    Keymaster

Indeed, casting is a feature we do not yet support, it is however considered for a future release.

Not understanding what you mean by “broadcasting feature you guys offer”, please explain.

pablo
    Participant

Hello Admin.. Thank you for your quick reply. I was referring to the feature in this link: https://wpstream.net/category/broadcasting/
    But i guess is more for streaming (live streaming ?)

Thanks!

Beatrice

Dear Pablo,

It is indeed a category in our blog that refers to the live streaming aspect of WpStream. We do not currently have a casting feature. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Maximo Lopez
    Participant

Hello, I was told that it is possible to share channels between sites but with a Beta Feature? How can I activate this?

Thanks

christina
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.